Thursday, June 19, 2014

baby bear - Week 33

...when it comes to babies in bellies there is one "B" word that never soothes mamas. That's finding out in your third trimester that little baby is Breech. She's getting bigger and more cramped, and as each day passes, the likeliness of her turning dwindles. With my abnormal uterus, I was aware that it would come with a risk of either promoting a preterm labor (which absolutely doesn't seem to be the case anymore) or the baby wouldn't turn head down because of her slightly cramped quarters (or because 4% of babies are breech). 

So now it's game time. 
I have basically 3-4 weeks to try and get baby bear to a nice head down positioning. Or I'll have to hear about the "C" word again, which is heartbreaking, so let's focus on what we can do. My Doula recommended a few things including: acupuncture, chiropractic techniques, swimming (and handstands in the water!), walking, inversions, yoga, and reading and rereading spinningbabies.com.

WikiHow - how to turn a breech baby

Today I started with a nice 30 seconds inversion (knees on couch, hands and elbows on floor) trying to release tension in my belly, followed by cat/cow movements on my hands and knees. I also am trying to get in calf and hip flexor stretches every time I'm up and walking around. I ordered two prenatal yoga DVDs and the daily essentials video this morning and this weekend we'll go to the beach and swim around. I want to be doing a yoga session 3-6x a week (more than my usual once!).

With this new focus, I really want to set my baby up for the best opportunity to get out of her comfy spot and into a more birth friendly position! 

Wish me luck!

PS - I've been reading Ashlee's experience with a breech baby and it makes me feel not so alone and distraught over the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment