Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How to Impress: Dinner and Networking Event

Ok, so you have a big interview or a professional event like a networking dinner - how do you say "I'm smart, I'm a hard worker, and I'm going to be damn good at this job"? Dress to impress.

I work in the engineering and technology field - there are not many times women get to show their fashion sense. However, don't think it goes unnoticed.

While working a career fair booth, there are a few things I like to see - and a lot I don't like to see. It's about first impressions, so make it count.

What works:
- Clean and neutral cuts. I want to spend more time looking at your resume than being distracted by too many layers, too much jewelry, or too many prints. 
- Have personality! Wear clothes that are comfortable enough or close to your normal work wear as possible (then turn it one notch higher). If you're comfortable in your clothes you'll be much more comfortable to talk to. Your personality will be what stays with me when you walk away and I decide which pile to put your resume in.
- Don't be afraid to be feminine. Often times, in a work world like Engineering, women tend to put the bulky clothes on and wear greys, navy, or black. I don't need to be working with more guys, there's enough already. Invest in figure flattering clothes and shoes you can walk for days in.
- Remember to smile and shake firmly. please. really.





What doesn't work:
- Trying too hard. Your sky high heels, your super trendy dress and cropped jacket. I get it, you like to buy clothes for the now. It becomes too much of a distraction and you will be remembered for your over the top look than your work experience.
- Wearing clothes that are too small, too big, or with too many holes. Again, it's distracting from your personality and resume. Keep your look clean and professional.
- Lack of general hygiene. It might be obvious but I have encountered it many times. The first thing we do when you come up to my company's booth is make eye contact - so I'm already staring at your head, your greasy hair, maybe your 13 y/o butterfly hair clips, or your very under plucked eyebrows. I'll notice your half painted or chipped nails after the handshake too. While these aren't deal breakers (maybe you're having a bad day?) - it does project a certain "I don't care about this" attitude which is a turn off when I'm looking to help hire you


Share your career fair and networking experiences below!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment