Tuesday, November 20, 2012

growing into a career

When I was in middle school, maybe early high school, I changed my current career ambitions of being a teacher to being someone that was important enough to have their name in a textbook. I know, it's an odd thing to aspire to be, but it's actually still true today. I've always wanted to do big, important things. I have always found immense satisfaction in leading a group, being in charge, and pushing myself to do more good and better.

This perspective change helped to shift what I wanted to be when I grew up. It put a very academic focus on my future career. I would read about what Newton, Franklin, Tesla, and Crick did and how valuable their thoughts were to the scientific community. I envied their accomplishments and their Nobel prizes!  It resonated with me and gave me reason to load up on science courses through high school.

I eventually discovered what an Engineer was from my dad, who was a Computer Engineer by training and experience - not by education. 

Growing up, I played extensively with Legos - however, it only opened up the doors to house construction and interior decorating. If I had one of these cute toys, I might have sparked my Engineering bug sooner!




Landing Page 10.8.12-SHARE-WEB from GoldieBlox on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment